The brilliant poet Michael Rosen, an inspiration to so many schoolchildren, has suggested the following questions which could be asked about any poem presented to a class. Why not give different groups one of these questions, printed on a card, to discuss with the poem:
1. Is there anything about this poem that reminds you of anything that has ever happened to you or anyone you know? How does it remind you? Why?
2. Is there anything about this poem that reminds you of anything you’ve ever read before or seen on TV or in a film? How? Why?
3. Are there any questions you would like to ask about this poem? What?
4. What if you could ask the writer of the poem some questions? What would they be?
5. What if you could ask anyone or anything in the poem some questions what would they be?